Primary Area of Research:
Combining themes at the forefront of optics, spectroscopy, and physical chemistry, my research focuses in the application of state-of-the-art two-photon circular dichroism (TPCD) to understand:
- The fundamental activity of chiral molecules and macromolecules in biological processes, mainly those involved in Alzheimer disease.
- The properties of optically active asymmetric catalysts used in the pharmacological and flavor industry.
- The design of novel metamaterials leading to the construction of perfect lenses and cloaking devices.
We are currently developing a one-of-a-kind Far-UV TPCD spectrometer with extended spectra capability that will surpass the spectral limitations of current chiral spectroscopic techniques, Synchrotron inclusive.
Secondary Area of Research:
After 10 years studying the physical-chemical and optical properties of nanomaterials and their interaction with tailored organic molecules, my secondary area of research focuses on:
- The development of novel chemical, explosive, radiological, and biological sensors for environmental analysis, homeland security and the biomedical fields.
- The employment of metal nanoparticles and Plasmonics to assist nonlinear absorption processes and control the decay rates of hybrid-systems with potential applications in bioimaging, photodynamic-therapy and optical data storage.
At present we are developing portable prototypes to sense mercury in the field and detect, in a truly noninvasive fashion, low glucose levels in diabetics.
- 2018-2020: Florida Health, “Two-photon circular dichroism and isotope-edited FTIR building synergy for the Structural analysis of Amyloid beta 1-42 oligomers”, $200,000 (PI 50%)
- 2014-2017: EAGER_IDBR_CMI: Development of a two-photon circular dichroism spectrometer with extreme capabilities in the far UV (FUV-TPCD)”, $225,010 (PI 100%)
- 2012-2013: NSF-ECCS, “EAGER:Photo-Activated Current and Magnetization in Au-Nanorings (PACMAN)”, $80,000 (PI 40%)
- 2010-2011 Teaching Incentive Program (TIP) Award presented by UCF
- 2010 Chair of the American Chemical Society Orlando Section
- 2009-2010 Research Incentive Award (RIA) presented by UCF
- 2010-2012: DOE, Field-deployable,nano-sensing approach for real-time detection of free mercury, speciation and quantification in surface stream waters and groundwater samples at the U.S. Department of Energy contaminated sites, $853,882 (Co-PI 50%)
- January 2010: UCF, UCF Technology Fee – Computational Tools for Chemistry Students”, $140,000 (Co-PI)
- 2009-2012: NSF-CHE, Chemical Instrumentation “Purchase and Development of a Cyber-Enabled Broadly Tunable kHz Femtosecond Laser System, $500,000(Co-PI 30%)
- 2008-2012: NSF-Collaborative Research in Chemistry on Self-Organized Aggregates in Photonics (SOAP):”A Comprehensive Approach to Multiphoton Absorbing Supramolecules”, $1,800,000 (Co-PI 25%)
- 2008-2010: DoD-IAI “LIBS-THz spectroscopy for improvised explosive devices (IED) detection”, $80,000 (PI 100%)
- 2005-2006: Teaching Incentive Program (TIP) Award presented by UCF
- 2004: American Chemical Society (Orlando Section) Outstanding Chemist Award
- 1. Eduardo Romero, Florencio E. Hernandez, “Solvent effect on the Intermolecular Proton Transfer of the Watson and Crick Guanine-Cytosine and Adenine-Thymine base pairs: A Polarizable Continuum Model study”, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 20, 1198-2019 (2018)
- Yuly Vesga, Florencio E. Hernandez, “Two-photon absorption and two-photon circular dichroism of L-tryptophan in the near to far UV region”, Chem. Phys. Lett. Accepted (2017)
- Julie Donnelly, Florencio E. Hernandez, “Two-photon Absorption Spectroscopy on Curcumin in Solution: A State-of-the-Art Physical Chemistry Experiment”, J. Chem. Ed. 94, 101-104 (2017)
- Henry E. Williams, Carlos Diaz, Gabriel Padilla, Florencio E. Hernandez, Stephen M. Kuebler, “Order of Multi-Photon Excitation in the Photoresist SU-8”, J. Appl. Phys. 121, 223104 (2017)
- Julie Donnelly, Carlos Diaz, Florencio E. Hernandez, “OCTET & BIOTEC: A Model of a Summer Intensive Camp Designed to Cultivate the Future Generation of Young Leaders in STEM”, Journal of Chemical Education 93, 619-625 (2016)
- Julie Donnelly, Yuly Vesga, Florencio E. Hernandez, “Enhanced Two-Photon Absorption and Fluorescence Upconversion in Thioflavin T Micelle-type Aggregates in Glycerol/Water Solution”, Chem. Phys. 477, 19-23 (2016)
- Yuly Vesga, Florencio E. Hernandez, “Study of the Effect of the Pulse-Width of the Excitation Source on the Two-Photon Absorption and Two-Photon Circular Dichroism Spectra of Biaryl Derivatives”, J. Phys. Chem. A 120, 6774-6779 (2016)
- Stephanie Castillo, Warinya Chemnasiri, Julie Donnelly, Florencio E. Hernandez, “Determination of the Overall Antioxidant Strength of Teas Combining Metal Nanoparticles, Plasmonics, and Fluorescence: Designing New Experiments for Physical Chemistry Laboratory”, J. Nano Education 8, 1-13 (2016).
- Carlos Diaz, Ligia Llovera, Lorenzo Echevarria, Florencio E. Hernández, “Assessment of the Tautomeric Population of Benzimidazole Derivatives in Solution: A Simple and Versatile Theoretical-Experimental Approach”, J. Computer-Aided Molecular Design 29, 143-154 (2015)
- Carlos Diaz, Lorenzo Echevarria, Yuly Vesga, Irena Stara, Ivor Stary, Emmanuel Sager, Chengsuo Shen, Mehdi El Sayed Moussa, Nicolas Vanthuyne, Jeanne Crassous, Antonio Rizzo, Florencio E. Hernández, “Two-Photon Absorption and Two-Photon Circular Dichroism of Hexahelicene Derivatives: A Study of the Effect of the Nature of Intramolecular Charge Transfer”, RSC Advances 5, 17429-17437 (2015)
- Daniele Padula, Inmaculada R. Lahoz, Carlos Díaz, Florencio E. Hernández, Lorenzo Di Bari, Antonio Rizzo, Fabrizio Santoro and M. Magdalena Cid, “A combined experimental-computational investigation to uncover the puzzling (Chiro)-optical response of pyridocyclophanes: One- and Two-photon Spectra”, Chemistry: A European Journal 21, 1-13 (2015)
- Carlos Diaz, Lorenzo Echevarria, Antonio Rizzo, Florencio E. Hernández, “Two-photon circular dichroism of an axially dissymmetric disphosphine ligand with strong intramolecular charge transfer, J. Phys. Chem. A 118, 940-946 (2014).
- Yuly Vesga, Carlos Diaz, Mary Higgs, Florencio E. Hernández, “Two-photon circular dichroism of molecular structures simulating L-tryptophan residues in proteins with secondary structures, Chem. Phys. Lett. 601, 6-12 (2014) – Editor’s Choice.
- Zahra Dezhahang, Mohammad Reza Poopari, Florencio E. Hernandez, Carlos Diaz, “Diastereomeric Preference of a Triply Axial Chiral Binaphthyl Based Molecule: a Concentration Dependent Study by Chiroptical Spectroscopies”, PCCP 16, 12959-12567 (2014) – Recent Hot PCCP – highlighted in the Journals Blog and Twitter.
- Yuly Vesga, Carlos Diaz, Florencio E. Hernández “Two-photon circular dichroism of molecular structures simulating L-Try, L-Phe and L-His residues in proteins with secondary structures”, RSC Adv. 4, 60974-60986 (2014).
- Marcelo G. Vivas, Carlos Diaz, Lorenzo Echevarria, Cleber R. Mendonca, Florencio E. Hernández, Leonardo De Boni, “Two-Photon Circular-Linear Dichroism of Perylene in Solution: A Theoretical-Experimental Study”, J. Phys. Chem B 117, 2742-2747 (2013)
- Carlos Diaz, Lorenzo Echevarria, Florencio E. Hernández “Overcoming the existent computational challenges in the ab-initio calculations of the two-photon circular dichroism spectra of large molecules using a fragment-recombination approach ”, Chem. Phys. Lett. 568-569, 176-183 (2013)
- Lorenzo Echevarria, Florencio E. Hernandez, “Educational Light-Pod: Understanding the Fundamentals of Analog Transmission using Photo-Acoustic Modulation of Fluorescence”, J. Chem. Ed. 90, 900-903 (2013)
- A. Tiburcio-Moreno, L. Echevarria, Carlos Diaz, J. J. Alvarado Gil and Florencio E. Hernandez, “Polarization dependent two-photon absorption spectroscopy on a naturally occurring biomarker (Curcumin) in solution: A Theoretical-experimental study”, Chem. Phys. Lett. 583, 160-164 (2013)
- Carlos Diaz, Lorenzo Echevarria, Florencio E. Hernández “Conformational study of an axially-chiral Salen ligand in solution using two-photon circular dichroism and the fragment-recombination approach ”, J. Phys. Chem A. 117, 8416-8426 (2013)
- Carlos Diaz, A. Frazer, A. Morales, Supriyo R., K. D. Belfield, Florencio E. Hernández “Structural identification of a novel axially-chiral binaphthyl fluorene based Salen ligand in solution using electronic circular dichroism: A Theoretical-experimental analysis”, J. Phys. Chem. A 166, 2453 (2012)
- Carlos Diaz, Na Lin, Carlos Toro, Remy Passier, Antonio Rizzo, and Florencio E. Hernández, “The effect of the p-electron delocalization curvature on the two-photon circular dichroism of molecules with axial chirality”, J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 3, 1808−1813 (2012)*Invited online presentation: http://pubs.acs.org/iapps/liveslides/pages/index.htm?mscNo=jz300577e
- Warinya Chemnasiry and Florencio E. Hernández, “Gold nanorod-based mercury sensor using functionalized glass substrates”, Sensors and Actuators B 173, 322-328 (2012).
- Na Lin, Fabrizio Santoro, Xian Zhao, Carlos Toro, Leonardo De Boni, Florencio E. Hernández, Antonio Rizzo, “Computational Challenges in Simulating and Analyzing Experimental Linear and Nonlinear Circular Dichroism Spectra. R-(+)-1,1’-bi(2-Naphtol) as a Prototype Case”, J. Phys. Chem. B 115, 811 (2011)
- Carlos Toro, Rémy Passier, Carlos Diaz, Tero Tuuttila, Kari Rissanen, Juhani Huuskonen, Florencio E. Hernández, “Unveiling electronic transitions in three novel chiral azo-compounds using linear and nonlinear circular dichroism: A theoretical-experimental study ”, J. Phys. Chem. A 115, 1186 (2011)
- Belfield, Kevin; Bondar, Mykhailo; Hernandez, Florencio; Przhonska, Olga; Wang, X. H.; Yao, S., “A superfluorescent fluorenyl probe with efficient two-photon absorption”, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 13, 4303 (2011)
- Florencio E. Hernandez and Antonio Rizzo, “Two-photon polarization dependent spectroscopy in chirality: A novel experimental-theoretical approach to study optically active systems”, Molecules 16, 3315 (2011)
- Leonardo De Boni, Carlos Toro, Florencio E. Hernández , “Excited state absorption study in Hematoporphyrin IX”, The Journal of Fluorescence 20, 197 (2010)
- Leonardo De Boni, Carlos Toro, Sérgio C. Zilio, Cleber R. Mendonca, Florencio E. Hernandez, “Azo-group dihedral angle torsion dependence on temperature: A theorerical-experimental study”, Chem. Phys. Lett. 487, 226 (2010)
- Carlos Toro, Leonardo De Boni, Na Lin, Fabrizio Santoro, Antonio Rizzo, Florencio E. Hernández , “Two-Photon Absorption Circular Dichroism: “A new twist of nonlinear spectroscopy”, Chemistry: A European Journal 16, 3504 (2010)
- Belfield, Kevin; Andrade, Carolina; Yanez, Ciceron; Bondar, Mykhailo; Hernandez, Florencio; Przhonska, Olga “New Two-photon Absorbing Probe with Efficient Superfluorescent Properties”, J. Phys. Chem. A 114, 14087 (2010)
- Rémy Passier, James P. Ritchie, Carlo Toro, Carlos Diaz, Artëm E. Masunov, Kevin D. Belfield and Florencio E. Hernandez, “Thermally controlled preferential molecular aggregation state in a thiacarbocyanine dye”, J. Chem. Phys. 133, 134508/1 (2010)
- Carlos Toro, Leonardo De Boni, Na Lin, Fabrizio Santoro, Antonio Rizzo, Florencio E. Hernández, ” Two-Photon Absorption Circular-Linear Dichroism on Axial Enantiomers”, Chirality 22, E202 (2010)
To Be Posted