The Society of Police Futurists International (PFI) is an organization of law enforcement practitioners, educators, researchers, private security specialists, technology experts and other professionals dedicated to improving criminal and social justice through the professionalization of policing. Futures Research (long-range planning and forecasting) is the pivotal discipline that constitutes the philosophical underpinnings of PFI. The tools and techniques of this field are applied in order to more accurately anticipate and prepare for the evolution of law enforcement ten, twenty, and even fifty years into the future. Futures Research offers both philosophical and methodological tools to analyze, forecast, and plan in ways rarely seen in policing in the past. The strength of PFI lies in the participation of its members as we engage in dialogue and collaborate on research on the future of the policing profession. The Society of Police Futurists International (PFI) was founded in August, 1991 and incorporated as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization in April, 1992.
- To foster excellence in policing by promoting and applying the discipline of Futures Research.
- Encourage partnerships between law enforcement, the academic community and private industry
- Develop information transfer concerning police futures research to its members
- Develop, analyze and interpret long range forecasts
- Provide and promote education and training in the application of long range forecasting and the use of technology
- Serve as a clearinghouse for the communication of innovative and proactive policing strategies.