Updated: October, 2019
All final candidates for employment with UCF for positions classified as University Support Personnel (USPS), Administrative & Professional (A&P), Faculty, Adjunct Faculty, Postdoctoral Associates, Graduate Assistants and OPS Non-Students are required to undergo a UCF standard background check prior to starting employment. The hiring unit will be charged directly for the check.
Formal background checks for OPS Undergraduate Students and volunteers are recommended, but not required unless the position is identified by duties as requiring one. Temporary staff hired via a temporary employment agency must have a background check performed by the agency prior to beginning work at UCF. The results must be provided to HR.
In some instances under the Youth Protection Program, an employee may need to undergo a Level 2 background check prior to engaging with minors. In limited circumstances HR may initiate the level 2 check. Otherwise the hiring unit is responsible for the level 2 for positions identified by duties or law requiring one. If the unit runs the level 2 check, they must provide the certification of clearance to HR prior to the start date. More information regarding this program and details of when a level 2 check might be necessary can be found on the University Compliance, Ethics, and Risk Office website. If unsure of whether a level 2 check is necessary, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org outlining the scenario to receive guidance.
All expenses incurred in processing background checks will be charged directly to the hiring departments via the department’s ID transfer number.
Requesting a UCF Standard Background Check
The processing steps for initiating a background check request depends on the employee classification.
A&P, USPS, Faculty, Postdoctoral Associates, and OPS Non-Student (searched only)
How to run the background check request in PageUp depends on whether there was a search or if the position was exempted from search. Both processing steps are outlined below.
For searched positions
1. Once the selected candidate is identified, the unit should initiate the offer card in the PageUp system.
2. The offer card is routed through an electronic process, which includes HR Background.
3. HR Background will receive the offer card in PageUp and initiate the necessary background checks steps with the candidate.
4. HR Background will notify the supervisor and the onboarding delegate when the background check is approved and the offer card will continue electronically routing.
For non-searched positions (excluding non-searched OPS non-Student who should follow the steps identified below)
1. After identifying a candidate, a job card should be created in the PageUp system
a. For Faculty and Postdoctoral Associate employee classifications, the college will initiate the job card after obtaining all necessary information from the unit (contact Ms. Wayneeta King for more details).
2. The job card will go through its electronic routing process. Once approved, an application link to the “hidden” posting is generated and provided to the unit.
3. The applicant must apply to the position using the application link.
a. There will be an expiration date for the application link, which is provided to the unit at the same time as the application link. If the candidate cannot apply prior to that date, please contact the college.
4. After the application is submitted in the system, the unit should initiate the offer card in PageUp.
5. The offer card is routed through an electronic process, which includes HR Background.
6. HR Background will receive the offer card in PageUp and initiate the necessary background checks steps with the candidate.
7. HR Background will notify the supervisor and the onboarding delegate when the background check is approved and the offer card will continue electronically routing.
Graduate Assistants, Graduate Hourly, Undergraduate Hourly, OPS Non-Student (non-searched), Youth Program Participants, and Adjunct Faculty
For these employee groups, the following background check request steps should be followed:
1. The hiring department will first need to complete a Background Check Request form. Incomplete forms will not be accepted. HR Talent Acquisition department will no longer accept Affirmation Forms. Once the submit button on the last screen of the form page is selected, the request will be routed to HRbackground@ucf.edu.
2. If the employee or volunteer is under the age of 18, the Parental/Guardian Consent for Minor Criminal Background Check form will also need to be completed and submitted to HRBackgrounds@ucf.edu.
3. HR Talent Acquisition will contact the candidate to apply via PageUp. Once the applicant completes their online application, they will receive an email from our background check vendor, Truescreen Inc., prompting them to visit Truescreen’s protected website to authorize their criminal background check.
4. Candidates needing a Level 2 (Fingerprinting-Livescan) background check will be able to use the Fingerprinting Appointment Scheduler to make their appointment on the Truescreen, Inc website.
5. HR Talent Acquisition will notify colleges and departments via email when the background check is approved. Colleges and departments will submit the (ePAF) New Hire paperwork to Employment Services & Records with the background check approved email.
Regardless of how the background check is requested (through PageUp or Qualtrics), HR will make the final determination on clearance for the candidate. HR will contact the unit if the results of the background check indicate the existence of a criminal history.