Policies and Procedures

Dual Compensation, Request for

Contact: Wayneeta King
Email: Wayneeta.king@ucf.edu
Phone: (407) 823-0011

Updated: October 01, 2019

When a full time (aka: position employee) employee agrees to complete an assignment above and beyond their current full-time position they may be paid additional compensation, above their base salary (with the Director’s approval). This approval is granted using the “Request for UCF Dual Compensation” form, found on HR’s website.

Form: https://hr.ucf.edu/files/dual_comp.pdf

1)   Definition
2)   Compensation Arrangement
3)   Limitations/Additional Considerations
4)   Determine Appropriate FTE
5)   Process
6)   Reminders

Overload – when the additional work assignment is the same as jobs/tasks currently being
performed as part of his/her full time job.  For example, teaching a course above and beyond
the normal workload.

Compensation Arrangement
There is one method to compensate the employee for the additional assignments and that is by ePAF. For example, if an instructor is assigned an additional course, above and beyond their full-time position, the time period for this assignment is the entire semester (using adjunct agreement dates). Therefore, an ePAF to compensate the faculty member throughout the semester is needed.

Limitations/Additional Considerations
University Policy Statement
College of Sciences Policy Statement

  • Additional signatures are required on the “Request for Dual Compensation” prior to submission.
  • The total additional compensation amount is limited by State law to no more than 25% of the employee’s base salary or $10,000, whichever is greater.

NOTE: Human Resources maintains the official compensation log, by fiscal year, to monitor this limitation. Therefore, the colleges’ approval does not guarantee that the request is within state limitation and Human Resources retains the right to deny the request.

  • Human Resources will not approve requests for A&P or USPS if the additional assignments are within the employee’s current “scope of duties.”

 For example: a request would be denied for Accountant to perform additional accounting related duties. Instead the employee should record overtime, request to be compensated for this overtime and then move the charges to the appropriate funding department/project. (Remember: overtime comp is determined by employee status–exempt vs non-exempt).

Determine appropriate FTE (for dual compensation requests)
There is no university-mandated method for calculating the FTE on the dual compensation but ultimately; the total FTE (current full-time position + dual compensation request) should be appropriate. Meaning, when the FTE is converted to number of hours worked per week (40 x FTE) it should be feasible.

The college suggests using one of the methods below:

1) Based on Estimated Work Hours per week: The FTE on the dual compensation should reflect the appropriate number of hours the employee should work to complete the task

Calculation: # hours scheduled to work per week divided by 40 hours Example: Employee will work 4 hours per week for the time period stated on the dual compensation request to complete the task. The FTE would be 4/40 = .10 FTE
Additional Notes: If this method were used, you would then determine the appropriate hourly rate for the ePAF by using the ePAF tool or the formula below:

(Overall Compensation / # of pay periods) / (40 x FTE)

/ =divided by x = times

2) Based on Standard FTE for Adjunct for department/school: If the dual compensation request assignment is for teaching an additional course then the FTE should be based on department/school standard (i.e. .18 FTE or .22 FTE) [college policy]

NOTE: For teaching Dual Compensation, there is a calculator that is available to determine the FTE on HR’s website in their A-Z index listed as “ePAF FTE Calculator-Teaching Adjunct/Dual Compensation” (http://hr.ucf.edu/forms-documents/).

3) Based on Employee’s Current Annual Salary/Hourly Rate
If the Dual Compensation request is for an overall compensation rate (flat fee) and the number of hours scheduled to work varies the FTE used on the dual compensation request, it should be “compared” to their current annual salary.

Example: Professor X is a 9 month Faculty and at 1.0 FTE his/her academic year salary is $50,000. The department/school would like to provide $5,000 to the employee for a specific assignment (not teaching).
Calculation: Dual Comp Amount/ Annual Salary 5000/50000 = .10 FTE


Primary Employer

Secondary Employer


College of Sciences

College of Sciences


College of Sciences

Outside of College


Outside of College

College of Sciences


      … if the primary & secondary employer is the College of Sciences (main or regional)?

1)   The Request for Dual Compensation form should be prepared. Preliminary discussion                 should take place with Regional Campus Administration if related to RCA MOU
2)   Obtain the Primary Employer’s Signature (Department Chair/Director)
3)   Obtain the Secondary Employer’s Signature based on the following:
a. Department/school main campus then the department chair/director should sign
b. Department/school regional campus then it should be signed by regional campus
chair/director (College will send to Regional Campus for signature)
4)   Send to College of Sciences’ Administrative Services (COS Admin)  to obtain Director’s approval.   College will forward to ORC if C&G funded for signature before returning to originator
5)   COS Admin will return to the HR liaison
6)   Obtain the employee’s signature
7)   Prepare the “Hire an Employee” ePAF (since this assignment is in addition to their current      full-time position) and attach a scanned version of completed dual compensation form.

… if the primary is the College of Sciences & secondary employer is outside of the college?

1)   Make arrangements with the secondary employer to prepare the Request for Dual Compensation form. As the primary employer, you will need to provide the employee’s full-time information (i.e. position number, annual salary, etc.) so that they can complete the top left portion of the form
2)   Once the Chair/Director has signed as primary employer and the secondary employer has signed, send the original to “COS Admin” to obtain Dean’s Approval. The college will forward to ORC if C&G funded for signature before returning to secondary employer
3)   Obtain the employee’s signature
4)   It will be the secondary employer’s job to submit a “Hire an Employee” ePAF (since this assignment is in addition to their current full-time position) and attach the scanned version of the completed dual compensation

… if the primary is outside the college & the secondary is the College of Sciences?

1)   Department should prepare the Request for Dual Compensation form. You should contact the primary employer to obtain the employee’s full-time position information (i.e. position number, annual salary, etc.) so that you can complete the top left portion of the form
2)   Obtain the Chair/Director’s signature
3)   Submit to primary employer for signature. They need to sign the primary employer sections on the dual compensation form and return to the department
4)   Send to College of Sciences’ Administrative Services (COS Admin) to obtain the Dean’s approval. College will forward to ORC if C&G funded for signature before returning to originator
5)   Obtain the employee’s signature
6)   Prepare the “Hire an Employee” ePAF (since this assignment is in addition to their current full-time position) and attach a scanned version of completed dual compensation

–  The Request for UCF Dual Compensation form is only used for actual services rendered. It cannot be used for materials purchased or any form of reimbursement (gasoline, mileage, tolls, meals, etc.) because processing such request would subject the funds to taxes. Most reimbursements are not taxable items and are to be submitted on the appropriate form(s) to Finance & Accounting.
–  If a department is paying an employee for the assumption of additional duties within the department to fill a void, such as when an employee is terminated, transferred or on leave of absence, they should prepare an edit Job ePAF. Dual compensation should not be used in cases where a temporary increase has been denied for USPS and A&P employees. In the case of faculty, ePAF’s require approval from Academic Affairs. Dual compensation being charged to a contract or grant project requires the approval of the Office of Research & Commercialization.
–  The Request for UCF Dual Compensation form cannot be used to pay an employee ineligible per criteria set forth for legislative mandated pay increases or bonuses.
–  Additional required services or duties performed by A&P employees during game days (effective with 2008 football season), or other events, may not be compensated on the Request for UCF Dual Compensation form. It may be appropriate to provide for flexible scheduling of work hours when needed as determined by the supervisor.