Ecology, evolution, conservation and restoration biology, herpetology
Quantitative and experimental ecology, with special emphasis on amphibians & reptiles, wetlands and coral reefs. Also environmental health assessment using an integrated approach that includes traditional measures, such as indicator species, and cellular diagnostics.
- Downs, C. A., K. E. McDougall, C. M. Woodley, J. E. Fauth, R. Richmond, A. Kushmaro, S. W. Gibb, Y. Loya, G. K. Ostrander, E. Kramarsky-Winter. 2013. Heat stress and light stress induce different cellular pathologies in the symbiotic dinoflagellate during coral bleaching. PLoS, accepted with minor revisions
- Quintana-Ascencio, P.F., J. E. Fauth, L. M. Castro-Morales, K. J. Ponzio, D. Hall, and K. Snyder. 2013. Taming the beast: Managing hydrology to control Carolina Willow (Salix caroliniana) seedlings and cuttings. Restoration Ecology, in press.
- Downs, C. A., C. M. Woodley, J. E. Fauth, S. Knutson, M. Burtscher, L. A. May, A. R. Avadanei, J. Higgins, and G. K. Ostrander. 2011. A survey of environmental pollutants and cellular-stress markers of Porites astreoides at six sites in St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands. Ecotoxicology 20: 1914-1931.
- Downs, C. A., J. E. Fauth, V. D. Downs, and G. K. Ostrander. 2010. In vitro cell-toxicity screening as an alternative animal model for coral toxicology: effects of heat stress, sulfide, rotenone, cyanide, and cuprous oxide on cell viability and mitochondrial function. Ecotoxicology 19: 171-184.
- Downs, C. A., C. M. Woodley; J. E. Fauth, S. Knutson, M. M. Burtscher, L. A. May, A. R. Avadanei, J. L Higgins and G. K. Ostrander. 2011. A survey of environmental pollutants and cellular-stress markers of Porites astreoides at six sites in St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands. Ecotoxicology DOI: 10.1007/s10646-011-0729-7
- Knickerbocker, C. M., S. Leitholf, E. L. Stephens, D. J. Keellings, H. Laird, C.J.R. Anderson, J. E. Fauth and P. F. Quintana-Ascencio. 2009. Tree encroachment of a sawgrass (Cladium jamaicense) marsh within an increasingly urbanized ecosystem. Natural Areas Journal 29:15-26.
- Suazo, A. A., J. E. Fauth, J. D. Roth, C. L. Parkinson, and I. Jack Stout. 2009. Responses of small rodents to habitat restoration and management for the imperiled Florida Scrub-Jay. Biological Conservation 142:2322-2328.
- Dustan, P., J. E. Fauth, E. Pante, K. Banks, B. Vargas-Angel and C. A. Downs. 2008. Using cellular diagnostics to link land-based sources of pollution with coral reef degradation in South Florida. Proceedings of the 11th International Coral Reef Symposium
- Fisher, E. M., J. E. Fauth, P. Hallock and C. M. Woodley. 2007. Lesion regeneration rates in reef-building corals Montastraea spp. as indicators of colony condition. Marine Ecology Progress Series 229:61-71.
- Schurbon, J. M., and J. E. Fauth. 2003. Effects of prescribed burning on amphibian diversity in a southeastern U. S. national forest. Conservation Biology 17:1338-1349.
- Downs, C. A., J. E. Fauth, J. Halas, P. Dustan, J. Bemiss, and C. M. Woodley. 2002. Oxidative stress and seasonal coral bleaching. Free Radical Biology & Medicine 33: 533 -543.
- Fauth, J. E. 1999. Identifying potential keystone species from field data: an example from temporary ponds. Ecology Letters 2:36-43.
- Wilbur, H. M. and J. E. Fauth. 1990. Experimental aquatic food webs: interactions between two predators and two prey. American Naturalist 135:176-204.
- Fauth, J. E., B. I. Crother and Joseph B. Slowinski. 1989. Elevational patterns of species richness, evenness, and abundance of the Costa Rican leaf-litter herpetofauna. Biotropica 21:178-185.
Undergraduate researcher Ariel Horner ’13 received a prestigious UCF Founders’ Day Award, which is given to one student in each department who demonstrated exceptional ability in their major.
Ph.D. student Danny Goodding’s paper, “Sensory Mediation of Foraging Behavior in the Western Lesser Siren (Siren intermedia netting)” was published in Journal of Herpetology, 47(1):75-77, http://dx.doi.org/10.1670/11-209
In the News
UCF Researchers Are Contributing to World Oceans Day
One of Florida’s most precious resources is its water from the aquifer to the 8,436 miles of coastline, boarded by the Gulf of Mexico, the…
UCF Research Leads to Ban on Harmful Sunscreens
By Robert Wells The island Republic of Palau in the western Pacific Ocean is the first nation to ban environmentally harmful sunscreens, effective 2020, to…