Increasingly large course enrollment, facilities limitations, and competition for resources constrain the educator’s ability to offer student experiences that enrich the undergraduate chemistry curriculum. Educators are tasked with rethinking delivery of laboratory content, hands-on learning manipulatives, access to informal learning, chemistry in the community, and service learning – while still conveying the essential chemistry concepts. Dr. Heider’s research focuses on developing high-impact, inclusive, low-cost avenues for delivering those enriching experiences and assessing their merit with respect to conventional teaching methods.
Expanding Horizons: Episode 5 – Oxidation Reduction Reactions
Expanding Horizons Key Concepts: Episode 3- Acids, Bases & Titrations
Expanding Horizons: Episode 1- Why Science Matters
10 most recent publications (see CV for full list):
- Harper, J. K., Heider, EC. Data Linearization Activity for Undergraduate Analytical Chemistry Lectures. Journal of Chemical Education (2017) 94, 610-614.
- Heider, EC; Mujumdar, N; Campiglia, A.D. Identification of Detergents for Forensic Fiber Analysis. Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry (2016) 408, 7935-7943.
- Powell, J., Heider, EC., Campiglia, AD., Harper, JK. Predicting accurate fluorescent spectra for high molecular weight polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons using density functional theory, Journal of Molecular Spectroscopy (2016) 328, 37-45.
- Mujumdar, N. Heider, EC; Campiglia, A.D. Enhancing Textile Fiber Identification with Detergent Fluorescence. Applied Spectroscopy (2015) 69, 1390-1396.
- Trieu, K.; Heider, EC.; Campiglia, A.D. Gold Nanorods for Surface Plasmon Resonance Detection of Mercury (II) in Flow Injection Analysis. Talanta (2014) 128, 196-202.
- Appalaneni, K.; Heider, EC; Moore, A.F.T; Campiglia, A.D. Single Fiber Identification with Nondestructve Excitation – Emission Spectral Cluster Analysis. Analytical Chemistry (2014) 86, 6774-6780.
- Heider, EC.; Trieu, K.; Moore, A.F.T; Campiglia, AD. Portable Mercury Sensor for Tap Water Using Surface Plasmon Resonance of Gold Nanorods. Talanta (2012) Talanta (2012), 99, 180-185.
- Heider, EC.; Peterson, EM, Barhoum, M.; Gericke, K-H.; Harris, JM. Quantitative Fluorescence Microscopy To Determine Molecular Occupancy of Phospholipid Vesicles. Analytical Chemistry (2011) 83, 5128-5136.
- Heider, EC.; Myers, GM.; Harris, JM. Fluorescence Spectroscopic Microscopy of the Interior pH of Single Vesicles. Analytical Chemistry (2011) 83, 8230-8238.
- Heider, EC.; Barhoum, M; Gericke, K-H; Harris, JM. Fluorescence Microscopy Characterization of the Structure of Individual Vesicles. Analytical Chemistry (2011) 82, 4909-4915.
- Schibel, AP; Heider, EC; Harris, JM; White, HS. Fluorescence Microscopy of the Pressure-Dependent Structure of Lipid Bilayers Suspended Across the Orifice of Conical Nanopores. Journal of the American Chemical Society (2011) 133, 7810-7815.
By Rachel Stamford A UCF chemistry lecturer’s pioneering service-learning research on sucralose in the Orlando Easterly Wetlands has put her on the cover of a premier academic journal. Dr. Emily Heider was a ... Read more
The College of Sciences at the University of Central Florida welcomes 50 new faculty members this fall. In conjunction with the new faculty hiring campaign, approximatley 200 new faculty will begin at the... Read more