A unique set of obstacles and opportunities arise when the curriculum modifications to improve student learning occur in courses taught by graduate teaching assistants (GTAs). Dr. Saitta’s research is focused on the extent to which professional development interventions such as learning communities, teaching simulations, and peer teaching observations elicit change in instructor attitudes, beliefs, and practices. Her current research focuses on utilizing a mixed reality teaching simulator to track changes in instructor discourse in active learning environments. Dr. Saitta’s work includes the optimization of graduate teaching assistant education to better implement evidence-based teaching.
- Saitta, E. Morrison, B. Waldrop, J. B., Bowdon, M. Introduction: Joining the Flipped Classroom Conversation. in Waldrop, J. & Bowdon, M. Best Practices for Flipping the College Classroom (pg 1-24) (2016).
- Saitta, E. K. H., Integrating Communication Instruction Throughout STEM Curricula: Transformational Approaches to Curricular Design. Journal on Excellence in College Teaching (2015) 26 (4), 149-172
- Saitta, E. K. H., Gittings, M., Novae-Card, S., Quinn, J., Clausen, C., O’Hara, S., Yestrebsky, C., Case Study of a Non-Destructive Treatment Method for the Remediation of Military Structures Containing Polychlorinated Biphenyl Contaminated Paint. Journal of Environmental Management (2015) 158, 40-48.
- Saitta, E. K. H.; Gittings, M. J.; Clausen, C.; Quinn, J.; Yestrebsky, C. L. Laboratory Evaluation of a Prospective Remediation Method for PCB-Contaminated Paint. Journal of Environmental Health Science & Engineering (2014) 12:57
- Saitta, E. K. H.; Legron-Rodgriguez, T.; Bowdon, M. An Inquiry into the Water Around Us. Science (2013), 341, 971-972.
- Griffin, M.; Saitta, E.; Bowdon, M.; & Walters, L. J. Engaging STEM: Service-Learning, Technology, Science Education and Community Partnerships. In M. Bowdon, & R. Carpenter (Eds.), Higher Education, Emerging Technologies, and Community Partnerships: Concepts, Models and Practices (pp. 51-56) (2011).
- Saitta, E.H.; Gittings, M.; Geiger, C. Learning Dimensional Analysis through Cooperatively Working with Manipulatives. Journal of Chemical Education (2011), 88 (7), 910-915.
- Saitta, E. K. H.; Bowdon, M.; Geiger, C. Incorporating Service-Learning, Technology, and Research Supportive Teaching Techniques into the University Chemistry Classroom. Journal of Science Education and Technology (2011) 20: 790-795.
- Maloney, P.; DeVor, R; Novaes-Card, S.; Saitta, E.; Quinn, J.; Clausen, C.; Geiger, C. Declorination of Polychlorinated Biphenyls using Magnesium and Acidified Alcohols. Journal of Hazardous Materials (2011), 187, 235-240.
- Albo, R. L.; Legron, T.; Gittings, M. J.; Elie, M. R.; Saitta, E. H.; Sigman, M., E.; Geiger, C. L.; Clausen, Christian. Degradation of Triacetone Triperoxide (TATP) Using Mechanically Alloyed Mg/Pd. Propellants, Explosives, Pyrotechnics (2009), 35, 2, 100-104.
An innovative tool with a new application in STEM education research may help prepare graduate teaching assistants (GTA) to transition from students to instructors. Jackie Chini, an assistant professor in the U... Read more
Under a sunset stroked sky in front of the University of Central Florida’s main administration building, university leaders celebrated the common traits of tenacity, collaborative spirit, and commitment to ex... Read more
The College of Sciences at the University of Central Florida welcomes 50 new faculty members this fall. In conjunction with the new faculty hiring campaign, approximatley 200 new faculty will begin at the... Read more
When science educator Erin Saitta was a graduate student, she was invited to participate in a program in which students from kindergarten to high school age would do inquiry-based science — conducting real re... Read more
- 2:00 AM to 3:00 PM
- Not Available
- 9:30 AM to 1:30 PM
- 12:30 PM to 1:30 PM
- Not Available