Dr. Saitta’s research is focused on two main areas including STEM professional development related to instructor belief and practice as well as strategies for the implementation of evidence-based teaching. She currently studies the extent to which faculty development interventions such as learning communities, teaching simulations, and peer teaching observations can elicit change in faculty beliefs about teaching and learning and their impact on instruction choices. Dr. Saitta’s work includes optimizing graduate teaching assistant education to implement evidence based teaching, specifically inquiry based instruction and service-learning.
- Saitta, E. Morrison, B. Waldrop, J. B., Bowdon, M. Introduction: Joining the Flipped Classroom Conversation. in Waldrop, J. & Bowdon, M. Best Practices for Flipping the College Classroom (pg 1-24) (2016).
- Saitta, E. K. H., Integrating Communication Instruction Throughout STEM Curricula: Transformational Approaches to Curricular Design. Journal on Excellence in College Teaching (2015) 26 (4), 149-172
- Saitta, E. K. H., Gittings, M., Novae-Card, S., Quinn, J., Clausen, C., O’Hara, S., Yestrebsky, C., Case Study of a Non-Destructive Treatment Method for the Remediation of Military Structures Containing Polychlorinated Biphenyl Contaminated Paint. Journal of Environmental Management (2015) 158, 40-48.
- Saitta, E. K. H.; Gittings, M. J.; Clausen, C.; Quinn, J.; Yestrebsky, C. L. Laboratory Evaluation of a Prospective Remediation Method for PCB-Contaminated Paint. Journal of Environmental Health Science & Engineering (2014) 12:57
- Saitta, E. K. H.; Legron-Rodgriguez, T.; Bowdon, M. An Inquiry into the Water Around Us. Science (2013), 341, 971-972.
- Griffin, M.; Saitta, E.; Bowdon, M.; & Walters, L. J. Engaging STEM: Service-Learning, Technology, Science Education and Community Partnerships. In M. Bowdon, & R. Carpenter (Eds.), Higher Education, Emerging Technologies, and Community Partnerships: Concepts, Models and Practices (pp. 51-56) (2011).
- Saitta, E.H.; Gittings, M.; Geiger, C. Learning Dimensional Analysis through Cooperatively Working with Manipulatives. Journal of Chemical Education (2011), 88 (7), 910-915.
- Saitta, E. K. H.; Bowdon, M.; Geiger, C. Incorporating Service-Learning, Technology, and Research Supportive Teaching Techniques into the University Chemistry Classroom. Journal of Science Education and Technology (2011) 20: 790-795.
- Maloney, P.; DeVor, R; Novaes-Card, S.; Saitta, E.; Quinn, J.; Clausen, C.; Geiger, C. Declorination of Polychlorinated Biphenyls using Magnesium and Acidified Alcohols. Journal of Hazardous Materials (2011), 187, 235-240.
- Albo, R. L.; Legron, T.; Gittings, M. J.; Elie, M. R.; Saitta, E. H.; Sigman, M., E.; Geiger, C. L.; Clausen, Christian. Degradation of Triacetone Triperoxide (TATP) Using Mechanically Alloyed Mg/Pd. Propellants, Explosives, Pyrotechnics (2009), 35, 2, 100-104.
An innovative tool with a new application in STEM education research may help prepare graduate teaching assistants (GTA) to transition from students to instructors. Jackie Chini, an assistant professor in the U... Read more
Under a sunset stroked sky in front of the University of Central Florida’s main administration building, university leaders celebrated the common traits of tenacity, collaborative spirit, and commitment to ex... Read more
The College of Sciences at the University of Central Florida welcomes 50 new faculty members this fall. In conjunction with the new faculty hiring campaign, approximatley 200 new faculty will begin at the... Read more
When science educator Erin Saitta was a graduate student, she was invited to participate in a program in which students from kindergarten to high school age would do inquiry-based science — conducting real re... Read more