Women in Physics Society(WiPS) at UCF is an organization that is committed to encouraging the recruitment, retention, and career development of women physicists at all levels. We are inviting you to participate in our first meeting of the semester. Our goal is to foster an environment for students that will stimulate the development of connections amongst Undergraduate students, Graduate students, and Faculty in the Physics department. While the focus of the organization is on women, all are welcome to join!
Our first meeting will be on Wednesday, September 23rd, 2020 at 6:30pm on Zoom. Here is the link: https://ucf.zoom.us/j/93892427988
If you have any questions about our organization or meetings, please contact us at email@example.com
We hope to see you there,
Women in Physics Society at UCF
Exposure to hands-on research experience is a vital component of undergraduate education, and the department strives to ensure that this is available to our Physics majors who may be interested in performing research with professors here at UCF, even during these difficult times. Join us on Thursday September 24, from 5pm-7pm, for a live 2 hour session to learn more about the research opportunities available in the groups in our Department, and a description for how interested students might get involved. The event will be held online.
About the Fall 2020 3MT Event:
- Participants create a three minute video using Zoom, upload it to the cloud and submit the link to our Fall 2020 3MT Submission Form
- Submission recordings will be sent to a panel of judges for scoring and finalists will be chosen
- Finalist presentations will be streamed at a live event
- Event winners will be announced at the live event and scholarships of $1,000 (first place), $750 (runner up), and $250 (audience choice) will be awarded
Participants must be currently enrolled UCF doctoral students who have entered candidacy (or program equivalent) and are actively engaged in dissertation (or equivalent) research.
Please see https://graduate.ucf.edu/3mt for additional details including presentation resources and full submission guidelines.
The College of Graduate Studies is continuing to offer the Graduate Dean’s Dissertation Completion Fellowship. This year there are a total of 13 Dissertation Completion Fellowships. As a reminder, this fellowship is intended for students in their final semester of graduate education who have a realistic expectation of degree completion in spring 2021. The award includes a $10,000 fellowship plus tuition support (not including fees) and paid individual insurance coverage.
COS can nominate up to four students. Each college will receive at least one fellowship if they submit a qualified nominee for consideration. The remaining fellowships will be considered at large and selected from the pool of nominees.
Please submit the following information to (firstname.lastname@example.org) as a single .pdf file no later than Friday November 6th. Please note that the date on the Fellowship Flyer (November 16 – see link below) is the date by which the College must submit nominations to Graduate Studies, and is after the deadline to submit nominations to the College.
- The student’s name and UCFID
- A letter from the dissertation chair describing the substance of the dissertation, its significance, and anticipated completion date.
- A document from the doctoral candidate including a one-page summary of the project written in non-technical language, a detailed time-line for completion of the dissertation (including information on the most recent chapter completed), and a 250-word statement expressing why the fellowship would assist with the completion of the doctoral degree.