Welcome to the undergraduate program webpages of the Physics department. We intend to provide you will all the information that you will need during your stay with us or while applying into our program. We will keep these pages updated in a regular fashion, so that you know of the latest developments affecting your degree. Navigate within the sections in the menu on the left of the page to find out about the numerous opportunities to get involved with the department.
Governance Team for the Undergraduate Program
Department Chair: Dr. Eduardo Mucciolo (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Associate Chair for Academic Programs: Dr. Joshua Colwell (Josh@ucf.edu) For general inquiries about the undergraduate program activities.
Director of the Undergraduate Program: Dr. Elena Flitsiyan (Elena.Flitsiyan@ucf.edu) For questions specific to the undergraduate physics curriculum.
Do not hesitate to contact us if you have a question, comment or suggestion.
It is a great honor to have several undergraduate students societies in (or related) to the Physics department. We strongly encourage all you to get involved with them. They are the ones representing you in the department, which works very closely with them in many aspects related to the program, including teaching, research and service (outreach) activities. We are also listing here the graduate student societies, since in many instances undergraduate can benefit from a direct connection to these groups.
- Student Physics Society (SPS)- The purpose of this Chapter shall be the advancement and diffusion of knowledge of the science of physics and the encouragement of student interest in physics throughout the academic and local communities.
- Astronomy Society – The purpose of the University of Central Florida Astronomy Society is to create, enhance, and deliver, a definite vehicle that will help its members cultivate the love and respect for the mystery of the Cosmos. Through astronomy, the infinite journey of inquisitive reasoning becomes the source that give us the purpose for the UCF Astronomy Society.
- Women in Physics Society (WiPS) – The mission of the Women in Physics Society (WiPS) is to promote the interest of women in the physics department by providing a platform for networking, guidance, mentoring, and counseling. The organization hosts many events, including talks given by female professionals, mentoring for female undergraduates, and outreach to encourage a passion for science in young girls. While the focus of the organization is on women, the purpose is to improve the atmosphere and relations throughout the physics department now and for the future.
- Central Florida Astronomical Society – The Central Florida Astronomical Society, Inc. (CFAS) currently operates in Orlando (at the Seminole Community College Planetarium). CFAS Activities include monthly meetings featuring guest speakers, monthly observing sessions at several sites across Central Florida, publication of a monthly newsletter (The Astrolog), and public observing sessions when events of significant interest occur. In addition, CFAS holds an annual cookout / star party (CFAS Astrofest) that is usually very well attended by amateurs throughout Florida. We believe that CFAS is one of the finest astronomical organizations in the country
- Society of Emerging Nanotechnology (SENT) – The mission of Society of Emerging Nanotechnology is to raise awareness of current research and potential applications of nano and emerging technologies.