Mission Statement: Our mission is to work with communities across the globe to visualize local knowledge through GIS, drones, and collaboration.
Learn more about our Citizen Science GIS research group, a 2017 Esri Special Achievement in GIS Award Winner (one of four higher education awardees worldwide) at www.citizensciencegis.org
Our Core Values
- We respect and appreciate all forms of knowledge.
- We strive for meaningful and authentic collaboration between science and society.
- We focus on easily accessible technologies to share the important stories and knowledge of communities.
- We aim to develop the next generation of community-minded scientists through collaboration.
- Objective 1: We use geographic methods to identify community-defined assets, needs, and future visions.
- Objective 2: We develop free and open geographic resources, maps, multimedia, and data in collaboration with community-based and/or non-profit organizations, residents, and/or government entities for intentional and transparent information sharing.
- Objective 3: We cultivate, build upon, and strengthen a collaborative and sustainable network of organizations, residents, researchers, and practitioners with shared interests in utilizing spatial thinking and geographic methods to help communities and neighborhoods better understand themselves.
- Objective 4: We develop the next generation of community-minded scientists through meaningful real-world learning opportunities for university and K-12 students.
- Objective 5: We support the empowerment of marginalized residents and communities through the use of mapping technologies, geography, and science and society partnerships.
- Objective 6: We offer training opportunities and workshops to equip interested community residents, practitioners, and organizations with skills in geographic methods and applications.