Who is the Undergraduate Advisor and what is his role?

The Undergraduate Advisor is Dr. Sarah Barber.  Dr. Barber counsels students pursuing either a major or minor in Anthropology.  She can assist with choosing courses best suited for your career goals, the potential transferring of Anthropology courses from other institutions, and career options following graduation.  The Undergraduate Advisor only counsels students on policies and procedures as it impacts their standing at the department level.

Please contact Dr. Barber at sarahstacy.barber@ucf.edu to schedule an appointment.


In addition to the Undergraduate Advisor, whom else should I contact for assistance in the department?

Mrs. Lisa Haas is the Coordinator of Administrative Services for the department.  Mrs. Haas supervises student registration, processing grades and grade changes, facilitation of the exit exam, and course substitutions.  She is responsible for conducting a preliminary certification of degree audits for graduation and serves as a liaison for the student and other university offices.  She also serves as a student advocate and advises on department policy and procedures.

Please contact Mrs. Haas at anthro@ucf.edu to schedule an appointment.


Who will advise me on college and university level requirements?

The College of Sciences Academic Services (COSAS) advises all College of Sciences majors on the General Education Program, Foreign Language, and University Credit Hour Requirements.  COSAS also counsels students regarding academic probation, readmission, graduation review, and evaluation of international transfer credits for upper level credit.  The office is also responsible for degree certification for all graduating students in the College of Sciences.

Please contact COSAS at 407-823-6131 or stop by their office in the College of Sciences Building, Room 250.


What can I do with an undergraduate degree in Anthropology?

Students with a degree in Anthropology are sufficiently prepared to pursue an advanced degree in the field, to seek intercultural and international employment, and pursue a medical degree.  Among many other options, Anthropology can be used to pursue careers in contract archaeology, crime scene investigation, cultural heritage management, and museum studies.


Does Anthropology offer overrides for classes that are closed or full?

Courses with an active wait list are not available for overrides per college policy.  Students may pursue an override for the wait list course on add day of the semester.  Students may pursue an override for courses that do not have active wait lists at any time prior to the start of a semester.  Overrides are on a case-by-case basis.  Students should contact the instructor of the course via email to obtain written permission for the override.  Provided the instructor approves the request, the student will bring the approval to the department to complete an override registration form.  Final approval for the override is dependent on room occupancy limits, available computers, if there are other sections offered, and a student’s individual academic record in the case of an excessive hours override request.


Can undergraduates take graduate level courses?

Absolutely, yes.  However, this option is only available to seniors whose GPA is a 3.0 or better, their course load for that semester does not exceed 12 credit hours (including the graduate course), and they are within 9 credit hours of graduation.  Careful consideration should be made before taking a graduate course and interested students should speak with the instructor of the class to obtain their approval.  The Chair of the department can make exceptions to these requirements, but only on a case-by-case basis.  The tuition for the graduate level course will be based on graduate tuition fees, not undergraduate fees.


What is the Anthropology exit exam?

Students must take the exit exam in order to graduate with a BA in Anthropology.  All students with an intent to graduate on file for the current semester will be contacted mid-semester through their Knights email account with instructions on how to register for and complete the exam. The exam is designed to assess whether students have learned important concepts relevant to a degree in Anthropology and draws on material that is covered in required courses from all three subdisciplines. The Anthropology Department uses student scores to evaluate how effectively different topics are being taught to students. Thus an individual’s scores will not affect their ability to graduate. That said, failure to take the exit exam will prevent graduation.



How do I obtain a letter of recommendation from professors?

Students should contact the professor directly and discuss their request.  It is recommended that students provide the following information:

  • Cover page/letter
  • Academic information including GPA, completed Anthropology courses with grades and instructors, and GRE scores if available.
  • A copy of the student’s degree audit
  • Graduate programs that you are applying for and ranked order of school preference that includes the name of the school, degree applying for, and deadlines for letter of recommendation
  • Personal Statement or Letter of Intent being submitted to the graduate programs