A unique set of obstacles and opportunities arise when the curriculum modifications to improve student learning occur in courses taught by graduate teaching assistants (GTAs). Dr. Saitta’s research is focused on the extent to which professional development interventions such as learning communities, teaching simulations, and peer teaching observations elicit change in instructor attitudes, beliefs, and practices. Her current research focuses on utilizing a mixed reality teaching simulator to track changes in instructor discourse in active learning environments. Dr. Saitta’s work includes the optimization of graduate teaching assistant education to better implement evidence-based teaching.
- Saitta, E. Morrison, B. Waldrop, J. B., Bowdon, M. Introduction: Joining the Flipped Classroom Conversation. in Waldrop, J. & Bowdon, M. Best Practices for Flipping the College Classroom (pg 1-24) (2016).
- Saitta, E. K. H., Integrating Communication Instruction Throughout STEM Curricula: Transformational Approaches to Curricular Design. Journal on Excellence in College Teaching (2015) 26 (4), 149-172
- Saitta, E. K. H., Gittings, M., Novae-Card, S., Quinn, J., Clausen, C., O’Hara, S., Yestrebsky, C., Case Study of a Non-Destructive Treatment Method for the Remediation of Military Structures Containing Polychlorinated Biphenyl Contaminated Paint. Journal of Environmental Management (2015) 158, 40-48.
- Saitta, E. K. H.; Gittings, M. J.; Clausen, C.; Quinn, J.; Yestrebsky, C. L. Laboratory Evaluation of a Prospective Remediation Method for PCB-Contaminated Paint. Journal of Environmental Health Science & Engineering (2014) 12:57
- Saitta, E. K. H.; Legron-Rodgriguez, T.; Bowdon, M. An Inquiry into the Water Around Us. Science (2013), 341, 971-972.
- Griffin, M.; Saitta, E.; Bowdon, M.; & Walters, L. J. Engaging STEM: Service-Learning, Technology, Science Education and Community Partnerships. In M. Bowdon, & R. Carpenter (Eds.), Higher Education, Emerging Technologies, and Community Partnerships: Concepts, Models and Practices (pp. 51-56) (2011).
- Saitta, E.H.; Gittings, M.; Geiger, C. Learning Dimensional Analysis through Cooperatively Working with Manipulatives. Journal of Chemical Education (2011), 88 (7), 910-915.
- Saitta, E. K. H.; Bowdon, M.; Geiger, C. Incorporating Service-Learning, Technology, and Research Supportive Teaching Techniques into the University Chemistry Classroom. Journal of Science Education and Technology (2011) 20: 790-795.
- Maloney, P.; DeVor, R; Novaes-Card, S.; Saitta, E.; Quinn, J.; Clausen, C.; Geiger, C. Declorination of Polychlorinated Biphenyls using Magnesium and Acidified Alcohols. Journal of Hazardous Materials (2011), 187, 235-240.
- Albo, R. L.; Legron, T.; Gittings, M. J.; Elie, M. R.; Saitta, E. H.; Sigman, M., E.; Geiger, C. L.; Clausen, Christian. Degradation of Triacetone Triperoxide (TATP) Using Mechanically Alloyed Mg/Pd. Propellants, Explosives, Pyrotechnics (2009), 35, 2, 100-104.
In the News
UCF Experts Weigh in as Coronavirus Captures Headlines
As the coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to dominate daily news cycles, UCF experts in areas ranging from hospitality, tourism, economics and student health services are helping…
Virtual Teaching May Help GTAs Prepare for the Classroom
An innovative tool with a new application in STEM education research may help prepare graduate teaching assistants (GTA) to transition from students to instructors. Jackie…