Dr. Xia’s research focuses on developing advanced functional nanomaterials and applying them to technologically important applications such as medical diagnostics and bio-/chemical sensing. In basic research, he carefully engineers nanostructures with precisely controlled sizes, shapes, and chemical compositions by manipulating the thermodynamic and/or kinetic parameters during nanocrystal synthesis. He is interested in understanding fundamental nanocrystal growth and the structure-property relationships. In applied research, he is committed to addressing challenge issues of current medical diagnostic techniques by taking advantage of the unique properties of nanomaterials. The ultimate goal is to develop highly sensitive, reliable, and low-cost diagnostic kits that are particularly suitable for clinical uses.
- Gao, Z.; Ye, H.; Tang, D.; Tao, J.; Habibi, S.; Minerick, A.; Tang, D.; Xia, X.* Platinum decorated gold nanoparticles with dual functionalities for ultrasensitive colorimetric in vitro diagnostics. Nano Letters, 2017, 17, 5572–5579. (It was highlighted by the NSF Science 360 News as a top story on 9.14.2017)
- Ye, H.; Yang, K.; Tao, J.; Liu, Y.; Zhang, Q.; Habibi, S.; Nie, Z.; Xia, X.* An enzyme-free signal amplification technique for ultrasensitive colorimetric assay of disease biomarkers. ACS Nano, 2017, 11, 2052–2059.
- Ye, H.; Wang, Q.; Catalano, M.; Lu, N.; Vermeylen, J.; Kim, M. J.; Liu, Y.; Sun, Y.; Xia, X.* Ru nanoframes with an fcc structure and enhanced catalytic properties. Nano Letters, 2016, 16, 2812–2817. (It was highlighted by C&EN News in the issue of March 28, 2016 and U.S. DOE Office of Science on April 4, 2016)
- Xia, X.;* Zhang, J.; Lu, N.; Kim, M. J.; Ghale, K.; Xu, Y.; Mckenzie, E.; Liu, J.; Ye, H. Pd-Ir core-shell nanocubes: A type of highly efficient and versatile peroxidase mimic. ACS Nano, 2015, 9, 9994–10004. (Highlighted by U.S. DOE office of science and U.S. CDC in Sept. 2015)
- Xia, X.; Figueroa-Cosme, L.; Tao, J.; Peng, H.-C.; Niu, G.; Zhu, Y.; Xia, Y. Facile synthesis of iridium nanocrystals with well-controlled facets using seed-mediated growth. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2014, 136, 10878–10881.
- Xia, X.; Xie, S.; Liu, M.; Peng, H.-C.; Lu, N.; Wang, J.; Kim, M. J.; Xia, Y. On the role of surface diffusion in determining the shape or morphology of noble-metal nanocrystals. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA (PNAS), 2013, 110, 6669– (Highlighted in C&EN News, April 15, 2013, and many other news media)
- Xia, X.; Choi, S. I.; Herron, J. A.; Lu, N.; Scaranto, J.; Peng, H.-C.; Wang, J.; Mavrikakis, M.; Kim, M. J.; Xia, Y. Facile synthesis of Pd right bipyramids and their use as seeds for overgrowth and as catalysts for formic acid oxidation. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2013, 135, 15706–15709.
- Xia, X.; Wang, Y.; Ruditskiy, A.; Xia, Y. Galvanic replacement: A simple and versatile route to metal nanostructures with tunable and well-controlled. Advanced Materials, 2013, 25, 6313– (for the 25th anniversary issue of Advanced Materials)
- Xia, X.; Xia, Y. Symmetry breaking during seeded growth of nanocrystals. Nano Letters, 2012, 12, 6038–
- Xia, X.; Zeng, J.; Otejen, L. K.; Li, Q.; Xia, Y. Quantitative analysis of the role played by poly(vinylpyrrolidone) in seed-mediated growth of silver nanocrystals. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2012, 134, 1793–
- “CAREER: Engineering bimetallic nanostructures as peroxidase mimics for diagnostic applications”, Funding agency: Chemistry Division, NSF (Award# 1834874); Duration: 01/2017-01/2022; Role: PI.
- “Collaborative research: An enzyme-free amplification technique for ultrasensitive ELISA of disease biomarkers”. Funding agency: CEBT Division, NSF (Award# 1804525); Duration: 09/2018-08/2021; Role: PI.
Awards & Honors:
2018 Emerging Investigator, Journal of Materials Chemistry B, Royal Society of Chemistry
2017 NSF CAREER Award, National Science Foundation (NSF)
2017 Research Excellence Fund Award, Michigan Technological University
BY NICOLE DUDENHOEFER ’17 Several of the 2019 Order of Pegasus honorees have studied fields as diverse as tidal flooding, migraine headaches, plastic pollution and other topics. Several of the 22 undergra... Read more
There’s not many opportunities that blend marine conservation and medical sciences. So Jacob Hromyak considers himself lucky to volunteer at PedsAcademy at Nemours Children’s Hospital. PedsAcademy is a pedi... Read more
A new mobile learning lab focused on geospatial technologies like maps, apps and drones just edged closer to its public debut with a brand new look. The GeoBus is the vision of Citizen Science GIS, an internati... Read more
Every year, more than three thousand students from all over the world gather in New York City to discuss international priorities and issues. All this takes the name of National Model United Nations (NMUN) – ... Read more