Dr. Bridge’s research group focuses on the analysis of trace evidence forensic materials to understand the uniqueness of chemical features. Using a variety of mass spectrometry techniques, they look to develop analytical methods that can increase the validity and evidentiary value of forensic evidence, which is determined using chemometric statistical techniques. Her group researches types of trace evidence: 1) the characterization of lubricant evidence obtained from sexual assaults, 2) the analysis of gunshot residue, 3) the identification of drugs/metabolites and/or masking agents in urine samples and other trace samples. Additionally, her team looks to understand ionization reactions that occur in ambient ionization-direct mass spectrometry techniques.
- Baumgarten, M. Marić, L. Harvey, C. Bridge. “Preliminary Characterization Scheme of Silicone Based Lubricants using DART-TOFMS”. Forensic Science International, 2017. Submitted.
- Moustafa, C. Bridge. “Distinguishing Sexual Lubricants from Personal Hygiene Products for Sexual Assaults Cases”. Forensic Chemistry, 5, 58-71, 2017. DOI: 10.1016/j.forc.2017.06.004.
- Marić, L. Harvey, M. Tomcsak*, A. Solano*, C. Bridge. “Chemical Discrimination of Lubricant Marketing Types using Direct Analysis in Real Time Time-of-Flight Mass Spectrometry”. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry, 31(12), 1014-1022, 2017. DOI: 10.1002/rcm.7876. (Impact Factor: 1.998)
- Terry, B. Fookes, C. Bridge. “Determining the effect of cartridge case coatings on GSR using post-fire priming cup residue”. Forensic Science International, 276, 51-63, 2017. (Impact Factor: 2.307)
- Marić, C. Bridge. “Characterizing and Classifying Water-Based Lubricants using Direct Analysis in Real Time® – Time of Flight Mass Spectrometry”. Forensic Science International, 266, 73-79, 2016. DOI: 10.1016/j.forsciint.2016.04.036. (Impact Factor: 2.345)
- Sisco, M. Najarro, C. Bridge, R. Aranda. ”Quantifying the Degradation of TNT and RDX in a Saline Environment with and without UV-Exposure”. Forensic Science International, 251, 124-131, 2015.
- Sisco, J. Dake, C. Bridge. “Screening for trace explosives by AccuTOFTM-DART®: An in-depth validation study”. Forensic Science International, 232, 160-180, 2013
- Swofford, S. Steffan, G. Warner, C. Bridge, M. Salyards. “Impact of Minutiae Quantity on the Behavior and Performance of Latent Print Examiners”. J. Forensic Identification, 63 (5), 571-591, 2013
- Swofford, S. Steffan, G. Warner, C. Bridge, M. Salyards. “Inter- and Intra-Examiner Variation in the Detection of Friction Ridge Skin Minutiae”. J. Forensic Identification, 63 (5), 553-570, 2013
- Martin, M. Baudelet, M. Weidman, M. Fisher, C. Bridge, C. Brown, M. Sigman, P.J. Dadigian, M. Richardson. “Stand-off detection of organic samples using filament-induced breakdown spectroscopy,” in Proc. of SPIE Int. Soc. Opt. Eng., 2009, Vol 7306, 73060Z1-7
- Weidman, M. Baudelet, M. Fisher, C. Bridge, C. Brown, M. Sigman, P.J. Dadigian, M. Richardson. “Molecular signal as a signature for detection of energetic materials in filament-induced breakdown spectroscopy,” in Proc. of SPIE Int. Soc. Opt. Eng., 2009, Vol 7304, 73041G1-7
- G. Brown, M. Baudelet, C. Bridge, M.K. Fisher, M. Sigman, P.J. Dadigian, M. Richardson. “Atmosphere Issues in Detection of Explosives and Organic Residues,” in Proc. of SPIE Int. Soc. Opt. Eng., 2009, Vol. 7304, 73041D1-12
- Bridge, J. Powell, K. Steele and M. Sigman. “Laser Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy (LIBS) Applications in Forensic Science: Comparative Glass Analysis”. Spectrochimica Acta Part B, 62(12), 1419-1425, 2007
- Bridge, J. Powell, K. Steele, J. MacInnins and M. Sigman. “Characterization of Automobile Float Glass with Laser Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy (LIBS) and Laser-Ablation Inductively Coupled Mass Spectrometry (LA-ICP-MS)”. Applied Spectroscopy, 60(10), 1181-1187, 2006
- Williams, D. Fernandes*, C. Bridge*, D. Dorrien, S. Elliot and M. Sigman. “Adsorption Saturation and Chromatographic Distortion Effects on Passive Headspace Sampling with Activated Charcoal in Fire Debris Analysis”. Journal of Forensic Sciences, 50(2), 316-325, 2005
In the News
14 Faculty Awarded for International Impact
UCF recognized 45 faculty members Wednesday during the university’s inaugural Luminary Award presentations for making an impact on the world. Fourteen of the recipients are…
Grant to Aid Sexual Assault Investigations
Story courtesy of Gabriel PR Candice Bridge, Ph.D., a professor at the University of Central Florida (UCF), was awarded a $324,000 grant from the National Institute…