Common Questions

Who are my advisors?
Each student has several advisors to work with based upon their major selection. For students in the College of Sciences, you will have a College Advisor (which assists with general questions, academic standing, degree audit, and graduation) and also a Departmental Advisor (which assists with major-specific questions, internships, and discipline specific knowledge).
Where are you located?
COSAS is located on the UCF main campus on the 2nd floor of the College of Sciences Building (room CSB 250). The College of Sciences building is right across from the Student Union Smoothie King. For a picture of the building an a detailed map to our location click here.
I am unable to sign up for classes, help!
There are many reasons that registration may be closed for you:

  • Holds or To-Dos: First make sure that you do not have any holds or To-do’s on your account. Those are view-able on the student self-service page of MyUCF. Holds are the #1 most common issue for preventing registration and typically must be satisfied in order to register for courses. To find out what you will need to do to satisfy your hold, click the “details” link beneath it on your MyUCF student self-service page.
  • Enrollment Appointments: Also another issue could be that enrollment appointments are not open yet. That can also be checked on your MyUCF student self-service page (just below the holds and to-dos area). Each student has a specific day and time that they are able to register for the next semester. This section of your student self-service page shows the specific time you are able to enroll.
  • Other concerns: Please stop by our office if you are unable to figure out the problem.
I have an Academic Probation Hold, how can I lift it?
Students who are on academic probation have a COS hold on their student accounts, preventing them from registering. Students can confirm whether or not they are on academic probation by checking their account through MyUCF. This hold ensures that COS students connect with their advisors, receive basic University policy information, and are informed of the options available to address his or her academic standing. For more information on what is required to lift the Academic Probation Hold click here.
I have a Mandatory Advisement Hold, how can I lift it?
You are not meeting major requirements for your declared degree program. Information on how to proceed with the hold will be emailed to you via UCF email. For some students with the Mandatory Advisement Hold the COS Explore programming may be required. Should you need additional assistance please email our office at
I have a non-College of Sciences Hold, how can I lift it?
Holds may be placed on your record for various reasons. Holds may restrict your ability to register, receive grades, transcripts or your diploma. For instructions on how to clear or remove a hold, please follow the instructions displayed when viewing your hold on the MyUCF portal. COSAS cannot remove a hold that was placed by a different department or college so make sure you are contacting the correct office.
Who can I talk with to plan my schedule?
For scheduling planning you should speak with your department advisor. Departmental advisors will have the most up-to-date information on what classes in your major are being offered, what instructors best align with your future goals, and can offer additional insights into the course content of the chosen class. To find the contact information for your departmental advisor click here.
What do I need to do before Orientation?
Freshman and Transfer Students entering the College of Sciences, visit UCF Orientation Services at for more complete information.

Registration Questions

What is Add/Drop?

Add/Drop refers to the first week of classes each semester. Students may continue to add and drop courses during this week and often change classes based upon their experiences during the first class session. Add/Drop week is an excellent time to seek classes that may have been previously full or closed, as students frequently change one or more classes during this time.Students may add courses all the way through the end of the day of the Friday of Add/Drop week. However, students may only drop or swap courses through the Thursday of Add/Drop week, meaning whatever is on a student’s schedule as of Friday morning at 12:00 am the student is tuition and fee liable. See the Academic Calendar for specific dates and deadlines concerning Add/Drop.Should a student not have enrolled in at least one course by 11:59 pm on the Sunday before Add/Drop week students may still register for courses during add drop but may be assessed a $100.00 late registration fee.

How do you find out what prerequisites are required for a course?

The majority of courses at UCF have one or more prerequisites that are required to be completed before being able to enroll (for example, ENC 1101 is typically required to enroll in ENC 1102). The best way to find out what prerequisites are required for a course you are interested in is to check the UCF Undergraduate Catalog (the last third of which is a course-by-course listing of all prerequisites). You can also check the prerequisites for a course under the class summary when enrolling in MyUCF.

What is a registration override and how can I get one?

Registration overrides are various ways in which a student attempts to enroll in a course that is otherwise closed. This could be enrolling in a course the student does not meet prerequisites for, or attempting to enroll in a class that is full or closed. Registration overrides are typically only granted in specific circumstances and are not something students should plan their studies around obtaining. For more information on registration overrides click here.

How do I get into a closed class?

Closed classes occur when a class has met the seat cap with enrolled students. Each classroom can only accommodate so many students safely, and once that limit has been reached a class is closed for enrollment until enrolled students drop from the course. Students who wish to enroll in a closed class may contact the department that offers the course for any accommodations, though it should be noted that students are rarely allowed to override into a closed class.

What is a wait-listed course in MyUCF?

A wait-listed course in MyUCF is a class that has a specific queue in place to accommodate students wishing to enroll in an otherwise full class. The wait-list allows students to be automatically enrolled in the class in the order they joined the wait-list and ensures a fair and timely means of accommodating waiting students. Because of the nature of wait-listed courses, no overrides are typically given for these courses as doing so would essentially skip the student to the front of the line. For more information on the specific process of adding and enrolling in a wait-listed class click here.

When I try and enroll for a course I am getting a “Requisites not satisfied” error, what is this and what can I do?

With a few exceptions, nearly every course at UCF has some form of prerequisites that must be satisfied to enroll in the course. Sometimes these are a lower level course (for example, MAT1033 is required to enroll in MAC1105C), a specific academic standing (such as being a junior or in the Burnett Honors College), and sometimes these courses require specific permission from the faculty or department offering the course (such as with an Independent Study).If you are not satisfying the prerequisites for a course your first step should be to check the UCF Undergraduate Catalog (the last third of which is a course-by-course listing of all prerequisites) to determine what prerequisites, if any, you are missing.

How do I get an override around a missing Prerequisite?

Students who desire an override around a missing prerequisites fall into two categories:Students who have not completed the prerequisite course – Students who have not completed the prerequisite but still wish to enroll in the course must contact the department offering the course for an override. Keep in mind that such overrides are rarely approved as prerequisites typically are required in order to successfully complete the higher level course.Students who have completed the prerequisite course and believe they are getting an error – For prerequisites errors COSAS is the best office to call. With some basic information provided by the student we can override the student into the course, though the student will need to provide proof of completion of the missing prerequisite.

I’ve been notified that I’m not meeting prerequisites and a course may be dropped, what can I do?

Students may enroll in courses that they are presently satisfying prerequisites for with current enrollment (for example, a student taking MAT1033 in Fall may enroll in the following Spring’s MAC1105C). However, when a student does not successfully complete the prerequisite course the student will need to change future registration to ensure all prerequisites are satisfied. In the College of Sciences, many of our courses will flag students to be dropped should they not be satisfying prerequisites. Students are contacted at their UCF email account before the first day of classes informing them that they are not meeting prerequisites and, should they not drop themselves from the course, may be administratively removed from the course.Some students, particularly new students transferring to UCF with AP, IB, Dual Enrollment, or other institutional course credit may also be contacted by this process should their official records or transcripts not be provided. Should this occur, students will need to provide proof to COSAS to remain in the course flagged to be dropped (specifics on what proof is required is included in the email notifying students of the drop status). Should the student not provide this proof by the given deadline they may be dropped from the class even if they do have the records to satisfy the prerequisites. All drop notifications for the College of Sciences are sent to a student’s UCF email account from the address. This address is only active during the drop process, and general questions should be directed to

I’ve been dropped from a course from COSDROPNOTIFY, what can I do?

Students who have been dropped from their course due to not satisfying prerequisites have two options. Should they not be satisfying the prerequisite via unsatisfactory or incomplete previous coursework they will need to contact the department that offers the course for an override. Should the student have completed the prerequisite but not have provided the required proof to COSDROPNOTIFY by the stated deadline they may contact COSAS to get an override into an open section of the course in question. Should all sections of the course be full, the student will need to either wait for a section to open or contact the department offering the course to request an override into a closed class. Not checking your UCF email or failing to provide proof by the deadline is not sufficient cause for an administrative override and students should always check their UCF email accounts regularly to ensure compliance with all UCF policies and procedures.

What is Late Add and Late Drop?

Late Add and Late Drop are administrative appeals to be added or removed from a class after the end of the Add/Drop period. A late add may be pursued only if you were unable to add a course by the add deadline due to extraordinary circumstances. A late drop will result in a full refund of tuition fees and the complete removal of the course from the student’s academic record. Therefore, a late drop requires the student to be involved in a truly extraordinary situation. For more information on the Late Add/Dop process students should contact Academic Services.

What is a Withdrawal?

The Withdrawal option is a tool for students to remove themselves from a class they no longer feel they can successfully complete after the Add/Drop deadline. The Withdrawal period for each term begins after the Drop/Swap deadline. Students remain fee liable for any classes from which they withdraw. Students may withdraw from a class and receive the notation of “W” until the deadline noted in the Academic Calendar. A student may withdraw from courses using myUCF. Withdrawing from classes may have financial aid, NCAA eligibility or international visa consequences. Students should seek appropriate advisement prior to withdrawing from a class. A student is not automatically dropped or withdrawn from a class for not attending, nor can an instructor drop or withdraw a student from a class.

Where can I go to get an Override into a non-College of Sciences course?

While each college operates their override policies independently, typically the best place to start in seeking an override is by speaking with the department that houses the course.

A course I previously enrolled in is now telling my I no longer meet prerequisites. What happened?

Course prerequisites can occasionally change as departments re-align their majors and content to modern needs. While the major requirements for students are bound to their catalog year, prerequisite requirements are always reflective of the current catalog. If a course you previously qualified for no longer will allow you to enroll, you should check the UCF Undergraduate Catalog for the present year to verify the current prerequisites and determine what, if anything, you may be missing. Should you not satisfy the prerequisites you will need to contact the department that offers the course for an override or enroll in the missing prerequisites.

How can I take courses transiently (at another institution)?

Students interested in obtaining transient status to take coursework at another institution will need to follow the instructions listed on the Registrar’s Transient Students Page. Transient applications are required to get several levels approval from multiple offices and separate institutions, so this process can take some time. Students should begin planning for taking transient coursework early in the semester prior to the course they’re interested in taking transiently.

Students taking transient courses within the Florida public school system will use Florida Shines. If you have questions about the COSAS portions of your Florida shines application, email

Students taking transient courses at any other institution (out-of-state or private Florida institutions) will have a different process, involving the “Non-SUS Transient Student Form”. Please send form to

MyUCF Questions

How do I register for courses in MyUCF?

Students register for courses in MyUCF through their student self-service portal. For step by step instructions on how to register for courses click here.

Where do I go to access Webcourses?

The UCF Webcourses system is the primary tool for online courses to provide students with content and materials. Webcourses can be accessed through MyUCF via a gray tab called “Online Course Tools” at the top of the page once a student logs in or by logging in directly at the Webcourses Website.

How do I add/change/remove my major, minor or certificate program?

For step by step instructions on how to modify your declared degree programs see the guide provided here.

What is the difference between a Hold and a To Do?

Holds may be placed on your record for various reasons including: failure to turn in the appropriate paper work, parking infractions, advisement required, orientation required, failure to complete a loan entrance or exit interview, as well as failure to pay a university debt. Holds may restrict any or all of the following: registration, grades, transcripts or diploma. For instructions on how to clear or remove a hold, please follow the instructions displayed when viewing your hold on the myUCF portal.The To Do List may contain items that you need to complete for Student Financial Assistance (SFA) or other offices within the UCF community. Students receiving financial aid should regularly check their To Do List. Failure to submit the items requested will delay your financial aid from being processed. As a result,  your financial aid may not be posted on your account before the fee payment deadline.

Degree Audit Questions

What is my degree audit and where can I find it?

The Degree Audit is a computer-generated evaluation of a student’s progress toward a specified degree program. It is NOT an official transcript. Use your Degree Audit to check which degree requirements you have met and which you have not met. Audits are available prior to registration and should be brought to each advising session. You may obtain your Audit online at MyUCF using the scroll-down bar located in the Student Center and print a copy as needed. For step-by-step instructions on how to access and read your degree audit click here.

How do I read my degree audit?

Your Degree Audit may at first seem confusing, but following these guidelines will make it easier to comprehend. For step-by-step instructions on how to access and read your degree audit click here.

What is the General Education Program?

The General Education Program (GEP) are 36 required semester credit hours. Course descriptions are in the online UCF catalog. Some majors require suggest specific General Education classes. Consult your academic advisor. Not all classes are offered every semester. For more information on GEP click here.

Will my A.A. or A.S. degree satisfy my General Education Program?

An awarded Associate in Arts (A.A.) degree from a Florida public community college or university satisfies the general education program requirements at UCF; this includes the Florida Gordon Rules. For more information on transfer credits click here.

Do I need foreign language courses to graduate or will my high school courses count?

Students must fulfill both the requirements for a major and University requirements to receive a bachelor’s degree from the University of Central Florida. Students graduating with a Bachelor of Arts degree must demon­strate proficiency in a foreign language equivalent to one year of college instruction (and occasionally more, depending upon the specific major). This requirement may be met either by successful completion of the appropriate college-level course or by examination.

My transfer credit is not showing up on my Degree Audit, why is this and how can I fix it?

Credits are sometimes not applied to an intended requirement area as a result of poor organization and communication between students and UCF.

Transferring students should review our Orientation page for additional information on what forms to fill out and what information you will need from your transfer institution. Some credits will be transferred automatically, while others may require some extra processing.

If you have any questions about this process, please contact COSAS by emailing

What are University Credit Hour Requirements and why are they important?

In order to complete your University requirements and a bachelor’s degree from the University of Central Florida you must complete the University Credit hour requirements. The requirement is at least 120 overall hours and 48 of those must be upper level hours which means the course is a 3000 or 4000 level class.

How many electives can I take?

The number of electives you can take varies based on your major. Your degree audit, undergraduate catalog description, and departmental advisor can help you see how many and which electives count towards your major requirements.

Graduation Questions

What do I need to do to Graduate?

Students must fulfill both the requirements for the major and the university graduation requirements to receive a degree from the University of Central Florida. Use this checklist and your Degree Audit as a guide in monitoring your progress toward degree requirements.

How do I file my intent to graduate?

In most cases, you will need to file for graduation though MyUCF, complete the COS Gradform, and attend a COSAS graduation workshop. All three of these requirements must be completed in your second-to-last semester, so timing is important! Check out our Graduation page for more specific details.

Where can I find out when the next Graduation Workshop will be?

Once you have filed your intent to graduate you will receive an email informing you about Graduation Workshop dates. Typically, workshops are held a couple of weeks before the semester you will graduate begins.

What is the COS Gradform?

Visit to begin your COS Gradform. This website will help you file the digital paperwork required for you to graduate. This online questionnaire is for our COSAS advisors to review and make sure all requirements are being met. After clicking start, you will be guided through the process. First you will be asked for information regarding yourself, and your major. Then you must agree to the conditions set forth by the College of Sciences. Finally, you will be asked to specify any deficiencies regarding your progress towards graduation.

I've received an email requesting additional information on my intent to graduate, what do I need to do?

Follow the instructions in the email. If you have any more questions, please email

I have two or more majors, do I get a diploma for each?

Per the Undergraduate Student Catalog, A student may earn one degree, with two majors, by completing all the requirements for both majors. Students earning a double major must use the same Catalog year for both majors.

When you graduate, you will receive one diploma, which both majors indicated on it.

For a double degree a student may earn 2 degrees (and diplomas) by completing the requirements for both majors and earning a minimum of 150 credit hours. If you are a double degree student than you will receive two diplomas; one for each degree.

What is the difference between Double Major and Double Degree?
  • Per the Undergraduate Student Catalog, A student may earn one degree, with two majors, by completing all the requirements for both majors.
  • If either major leads to a BA degree, these requirements include the BA Foreign Language Proficiency requirement.
  • Students earning a double major must use the same Catalog year for both majors.
  • Both majors will be indicated on the diploma.
Where can I find out more about commencement?

You can find more information about commencement at

Academic Standing & Probation

What is Academic Probation at UCF?

A student is placed on academic probation when their UCF cumulative GPA drops below a 2.0. A student must receive at least a 2.0 term GPA the each semester after being placed on probation to remain at the University. Students on academic probation have mandatory programming and requirements to retain their UCF student status. Find out more about academic probation.

What is the 'Online Academic Planning Workshop'?

Students within the College of Sciences that are currently on Academic Probation are required to receive advising and take a short quiz each semester during their probationary period. If the “Online Academic Planning Workshop” has appeared in your webcourses, that means that you are on probation and must complete the requirements of that course until your probation status is lifted. Click here to find out more about academic probation.

I have the College of Sciences hold but the Academic Planning Workshop course is not appearing.

Please email the details of your problem to and copy through your UCF email only. Include your name, UCF ID, and all relevant information, so we can make the appropriate updates.

I completed the Academic Planning Workshop course but still have the College of Sciences Hold.

Please allow at least 5 business days for the COSAS team to review your documents and quiz results. After that time, please email through your UCF email only. Include your name, UCF ID, and all relevant information, so we can make the appropriate updates.

I have changed my major; I'm no longer in the College of Sciences, but still have a College of Sciences hold.

If you have a COS hold and switched to a non-COS major, email your new College advising office for assistance in having your COS hold lifted. Your new college may also require regular advising appointments while on probationary status.

I’ve been Disqualified (lost student standing due to low academic performance), what can I do now?

If you have been disqualified, your first step should be to print and follow the Academic Success Checklist. This checklist lists best practices, suggestions, and ideas for self assessment and identifying what priorities are most important in a student’s studies. The most important thing disqualified students should keep in mind is that you still have options, and that there are many paths to completion of undergraduate studies. You should also review our Readmission website for additional instructions on what is required to return to UCF.

Readmission to UCF

I was Disqualified in the past (lost student standing due to low academic performance), but I'm now ready to reapply. What is the next step?

You’ll need to Complete both the University application, and a separate College of Sciences application. All information can be found on our Readmission page.

If you have a COS hold appearing in your MyUCF account following your recent readmission status, you may have forgotten to fill out the College of Sciences application. If you completed both steps and have waited a reasonable period of time, you can email to inquire further.

I’ve been Discontinued (lost student status due to non-enrollment for 2 or more semesters), how can I return to UCF?

Students who have been discontinued for non-enrollment will need to contact the UCF Registrar’s office for additional information.

How can I pursue a Second Undergraduate Degree at UCF after graduation?

Students who are seeking a second undergraduate degree at UCF should contact the UCF Registrar’s office to determine if they are eligible for readmission.

Directory Questions

What is Financial Aid and how can I apply for it?

Financial Aid refers both to the specific type of grant, scholarship, loan or other means in which a student is assisted in paying tuition and fees as well as the Office of Financial Assistance which advises and provides these resources. At UCF all financial aid information is managed by the Office of Financial Assistance and no other resource may provide financial information.

Where do I get my Student ID and what is it used for?

The UCF Student ID Card serves as a required form of identification for all students. You will need to present your card to receive the benefits of many services, including sporting events and discounts at the SGA Ticket Office. It also serves as your library card with the UCF Libraries system.The UCF Student ID Card lets you move through campus without cash – and without missing out on anything. Deposited funds can be used for purchases at vending machines, copy machines, computer labs, UCF Bookstore, UCF Health Center, Marketplace/Knightro’s, restaurants, and all on-campus merchants. Many instructors will require proof of identification through the student ID on the first week of classes and when turning in exams, so having your Student ID card available at all times is critical to success at UCF.To find out more information on the UCF Student ID Card visit Card Services.

What is Parking Services/Why do I need a Parking Decal?

Parking Services is the office that manages parking, citations, and the shuttle services within the UCF Main Campus. Students who park a vehicle on the University of Central Florida campus must purchase a parking permit. The registered owner of the permit is responsible for all infractions and penalties attributed to the permit, even if expired. Parking without a permit or a daily pass may lead to holds on a student’s records and traffic citations. For information on obtaining a parking decal visit the Parking Services website.

Who can I contact to get an internship?

Each year, over 20,000 students at UCF participate in experiential learning in co-op, internships, and service-learning courses. This participation assists students to gain practical experience and apply what they learn to real-world problems, and is an excellent opportunity to kick-start personal and professional growth. The first stop for internships should always be your major departmental advising office, but UCF also offers the Office of Experiential Learning for additional opportunities throughout the Central Florida region.

Where can I go for Career Advice?

UCF Career Services contributes to the university’s goal of offering high quality undergraduate and graduate education and student development by providing centralized, comprehensive and coordinated career development, experiential learning and employer relations programs. With semesterly workshops, job fairs, resume assistance, and much more UCF Career Services is often the best place to begin seeking your future career.

Where can I go for tutoring or subject area assistance?

Depending upon the subject area, students have several opportunities for tutoring within the College of Sciences:

  • The University Writing Center (UWC) – The University Writing Center is a campus resource that offers free individual and small-group consultations to UCF students, faculty, staff, and community members, for any writing you do. That includes research papers and other work for UCF classes, research or scholarly writing, resumes and cover letters, graduate school or scholarship applications, presentations, creative writing, and anything else you’re writing.
  • Student Academic Resource Center (SARC) – SARC provides high-quality academic support programs, including tutoring and supplemental instruction, retention programs, academic advising programs, and various other academic programs and services. SARC serves as a means for retention of students and is an important element in enabling UCF students to achieve their academic goals. SARC provides undergraduate students with free individualized and small-group tutoring in accounting, astronomy, biology, chemistry, physics, and statistics.
  • UCF Math Lab – The purpose of the Math Lab is to provide tutoring for students enrolled in mathematics courses here at UCF. We offer tutoring in the following courses: Finite Mathematics, Explorations in Mathematics, College Algebra, Trigonometry, Business Calculus, Precalculus, Mathematics for Calculus, Calculus I, II, III, and Differential Equations.
Where can I find out about Undergraduate Research?

Participating in undergraduate research will expand your academic experience at UCF. Research is a process of careful inquiry leading to the discovery of new information. Although there are some differences in how research is conducted across disciplines, research is not restricted to certain disciplines and occurs in all programs at UCF. Undergraduate students are currently working on numerous and diverse projects, and you can too! Visit the Office of Undergraduate Research to find out more.

Where can I find out more about Medical, Pharmacy, or Law School?

The mission of the Office of Pre-Health Pre-Law Advising is to provide guidance and support to students interested in pursuing careers in the health and legal professions. OPPA provides information about the field of law and a wide variety of health-related fields such as allopathic (M.D.), osteopathic (D.O.), and veterinary (D.V.M.) medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, optometry, podiatry, chiropractic, physician assistant, physical therapy, occupational therapy, and public health. These careers require academic study in professional school settings beyond the baccalaureate degree, and OPPA assists “Pre-Professional” Students in any undergraduate major by offering academic advising, administrative support, and other activities related to preparing for and applying to professional schools.

Where can I find out more about Graduate Studies?

Students looking to find out more about opportunities for graduate education should speak with their departmental advisor to discuss their goals and the options within their area of study. Should students wish to pursue a graduate degree at UCF the best place to start is the UCF Graduate Studies Office.