Dr. Chen received his PhD in Physics from Northwestern University, Evanston, IL in 2007. He spent one year(2007-2008) as a Visiting Fellow and three years (2008-2011) as a Research Fellow in National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD. He joined UCF in 2011 where he is an Assistant Professor.
Dr. Bo Chen’s research is on self-assembled structures by proteins. His research utilizes transmission electron microscopy, solid state NMR, molecular modeling and simulation to investigate the structure and mechanism of such self-assembled structures.
- Jaekyun Jeon*, Xin Qiao*, Ivan Hung, Alok K. Mitra, Ambroise Desfosses, Daniel Huang*, Peter L. Gor’kov, Rebecca C. Craven, Richard L. Kingston, Zhehong Gan, Fangqiang Zhu, and Bo Chen. “Structural model of the tubular assembly of the rous sarcoma virus capsid protein”, JACS, in press, DOI:1021/jacs.6b11939.
- Bo Chen. “HIV capsid assembly, mechanism and structure”. Invited article for Current Topics in Biochemistry, 55(18): 2539-52 (2016).
- Qiao X*, Jeon J*, Weber J*, Zhu F, and Bo Chen. “Construction of a novel coarse grain model for simulations of HIV capsid assembly to capture the backbone structure and inter-domain motions in solution”. Data in brief, 5:506-512(2015).
- Xin Zhao*, Jaekyun Jeon*, Jeff Weber*, and Bo Chen. “Mechanism of polymorphism and curvature of HIV capsid assemblies probed by 3D simulations with a novel high resolution coarse grain model”, BBA-Gen Subjects, 1850(11):2353-67(2015).
- Fangqiang Zhu, and Bo Chen. “Monte carlo simulations of HIV capsid protein homodimer.” J Chem Inf Model, Jul 27;55(7):1361-8(2015).
- Jaekyun Jeon*, Xin Qiao*, Amy Cole, Jason O. Matos*, Stephany Bautista* Justin Castillo*, Ivan Hung, Zhehong Gan, Suren A. Tatulian, Alexander M. Cole, and Bo Chen. “Morphology-dependent HIV-enhancing effect of semen-derived enhancer of viral infection”, Biophysical Journal, 108(8):2028-37(2015).
- Marvin J Bayro, Bo Chen, Wau-Ming Yau and Robert Tycko. “Site-specific structural and dynamical variations accompanying tubular assembly of the HIV-capsid protein”, JMB, 426, 1109-1127 (2014).
- Gongpu Zhao, Juan R. Perilla, Ernest L. Yufenyuy, Xin Meng, Bo Chen, Jiying Ning, Jinwoo Ahn, Angela M. Gronenborn, Klaus Schulten, Christopher Aiken, and Peijun Zhang, Nature, 497, 643-646 (2013). “Mature HIV-1 capsid structure by cryo-electron microscopy and all-atom molecular dynamics”.
- Jaekyun Jeon*, Michael S. Lodge, Ben D. Dawson, Masa Ishigami, Frank Shewmaker, and Bo Chen, BBA – General Subjects, 1830, 3807-3815 (2013). “Superb resolution and contrast of transmission electron microscopy images of non-stained biological samples on graphene-coated grids”.
- Bo Chen, and Robert Tycko, Biophysical Journal, 100, 3035 (2011) “Simulated self-Assembly of the HIV-1 capsid: protein shape and native contacts are sufficient for two-dimensional lattice formation”.
- Bo Chen, and Robert Tycko, Protein Science, 19, 716 (2010) “Structural and dynamical characterization of tubular HIV-1 capsid protein assemblies by solid state nuclear magnetic resonance and electron microscopy”.
- Bo Chen, Kent R. Thurber, Frank Shewmaker, Reed B. Wickner, and Robert Tycko, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 106, 14339 (2009) “Measurement of amyloid fibril mass-per-length by tillted-beam transmission electron microscopy”.
PI, AFOSR YIP, “Synergic Investigation of the Self-assembly Structure and Mechanism of Retroviral Capsid Proteins by Solid State NMR, Transmission Electron Microscopy and Multiscale Simulation”, $415,000, 3/15/2013 to 3/14/2016.