Dr. Tatulian received his BS in Physics from Yerevan State University, Armenia, and his PhD in Biology from the Institute of Cell Biology, St. Petersburg, Russia. He worked as a Research Scientist in the Institute of Cell Biology, Academy of Sciences USSR, Leningrad, for fifteen years (1977-1992). He joined the Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics, University of Virginia Medical School, Charlottesville, VA, as a Research Associate in 1992 and was promoted to Assistant Professor of Research in 1995. In 1999, Dr. Tatulian moved to the University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS, as Associate Professor of Research in Molecular Biosciences. In 2001 he moved to UCF as Associate Professor at the Biomolecular Sciences Center. In 2008 Dr. Tatulian moved to the Department of Physics of UCF, where he was tenured and promoted to full Professor.
Molecular biophysics; Biotechnology; Structure and function of proteins studied by protein engineering, spectroscopy, and computational techniques; Amyloidogenesis; Biomembrane
structure and function; Interfacial enzymology; Protein-membrane interactions; Membrane electrostatics; adhesion and fusion; Enzymatic biofuel technologies.
- Banerjee, T., Taylor, M., Jobling, M.G., Burress, H., Yang, Z., Serrano, A., Randall K. Holmes, R.K., Tatulian, S.A, Teter, K. ADP-Ribosylation Factor 6 Acts as an Allosteric Activator for the Folded but not Disordered Cholera Toxin A1 Polypeptide (submitted for publication)
- Burress, H., Taylor, M., Banerjee, T., Tatulian, S.A., Teter, K. Co- and Post-Translocation Roles for Hsp90 in Cholera Intoxication. (submitted for publication)
- Jeon, J., Qiao, X., Cole, A.L., Matos, J.O., Bautista, S., Castillo, J., Hung, I., Gan, Z., Tatulian, S.A., Cole, A.M., and Chen, B. Morphology-Dependent HIV-Enhancing Effect of Semen-Derived Enhancer of Viral Infection. (submitted for publication).
- Dow, B.A., Sukumar, N., Matos, J.O., Choi, M., Schulte, A., Tatulian, S.A., and Davidson, V.L. (2014) The sole tryptophan of amicyanin enhances its thermal stability but does not influence the electronic properties of the type 1 copper site. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 550-551, 20-27
- Matos, J.O., Goldblatt, G., Jeon, J.,Chen, B., and Tatulian, S.A. (2014) Pyroglutamylated Amyloid-b Peptide Reverses Cross b-sheets by a Prion-like Mechanism. J. Phys. Chem. B 118(21), 5637-5643
- Taylor, M., Burress, H., Banerjee, T., Ray, S., Curtis, D., Tatulian, S.A., Teter, K. (2014) Substrate- induced unfolding of protein disulfide isomerase displaces the cholera toxin A1 subunit from its holotoxin. PLoS Pathog. 10(2), e1003925
- Garg, P., Nemec, K. N., Khaled, A. R., and Tatulian, S. A. (2013) Transmembrane Pore Formation by the Carboxyl Terminus of Bax Protein. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1828, 732-742.
- Tatulian, S. A., Garg, G., Nemec, K. N., Chen, B., and Khaled, A. R. (2012) Molecular Basis for Membrane Pore Formation by Bax Protein Carboxyl Terminus. Biochemistry 51(46), 9406-9419.
- Ray, S., Taylor, M., Banerjee, T., Tatulian, S. A., and Teter, K. (2012) Lipid rafts alter the stability and activity of the cholera toxin A1 subunit. J. Biol. Chem. 287(36), 30395-30405.
- Katoch, J., Kim, S. N., Kuang, Z., Farmer, B., Naik, R., Tatulian, S. A., and Ishigami, M.(2012) Structure of a peptide on graphene and graphite. Nano Letters 12(5), 2342-2346.
- Xie, X., Gong, Z., Mansuy-Aubert, V., Zhou, Q. L., Tatulian, S. A., Sehrt, D., Gnad, F., Brill, L. M., Motamedchaboki, K., Chen, Y., Czech, M. P., Mann, M., Krüger, M., and Jiang, Z. Y. (2011) C2 domain-containing phosphoprotein CDP138 regulates GLUT4 insertion into the plasma membrane. Cell Metabolism 14, 378-389.
- Ray, S., Taylor, M., Burlingame, M., Tatulian, S. A., Teter, K. (2011) Modulation of toxin stability by 4-phenylbutyric acid and negatively charged phospholipids. PLoS One 6(8):e23692.
- Taylor, M., Banerjee, T., Ray, S., Tatulian, S. A. and Teter, K. (2011) Protein disulfide isomerase displaces the cholera toxin A1 subunit from the holotoxin without unfolding the A1 subunit. J. Biol. Chem. 286, 22090-22100.
- Taylor, M., Banerjee, T., Navarro-Garcia, F., Huerta, J., Massey, S., Burlingame, M., Pande, A. H., Tatulian, S. A. and Teter, K (2011) A therapeutic chemical chaperone inhibits cholera intoxication and unfolding/translocation of the cholera toxin A1 subunit. PLoS One 6, e18825.
- Banerjee, T., Pande, A., Jobling, M. G., Taylor, M., Massey, S., Holmes, R. K., Tatulian, S. A., and Teter, K. (2010) Contribution of subdomain structure to the thermal stability of the cholera toxin A1 subunit. Biochemistry 49, 8839-8846.
- Tatulian, S. A. (2010) Structural analysis of proteins by isotope-edited FTIR spectroscopy. Spectroscopy 24, 37-43.
- Nemec, K.N, Scaglione, P., Navarro-García, F., Huerta, J., Tatulian, S.A., and Teter, K. (2010) A host-specific factor is necessary for efficient folding of the autotransporter plasmid-encoded toxin. Biochimie.92, 171-177.
- Massey, S. Banerjee, T., Pande, A. H., Taylor, M., Tatulian, S. A., and Teter, K. (2009) Stabilization of the tertiary structure of cholera toxin A1 subunit inhibits toxin dislocation and cellular intoxication. J. Mol. Biol. 393, 1083-1096.
- Guerra, L., Nemec, K. N., Massey, S., Tatulian, S. A., Thelestam, M., Frisan, T., and Teter, K. (2009) A novel mode of translocation for cytolethal distending toxin. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1793, 489-495.
- Yu, B. Z, Kaimal, R., Bai, S., El Sayed, K. A., Tatulian, S. A., Apitz, R. J., Jain, M. K., Deng, R., and Berg, O. G. (2009) Effect of guggulsterone and cembranoids of commiphora mukul on pancreatic phospholipase A2: Role in hypocholesterolemia. J. Nat. Prod. 72, 24-28.
- Scaglione, P., Nemec, K. N., Burlingame, K. E., Grabon, A., Huerta, J., Navarro-Garcia, F., Tatulian, S. A., and Teter, K. (2008) Structural characteristics of the plasmid-encoded toxin from enteroaggregative Escherichia coli. Biochemistry47, 9582-9591.
- Tatulian, S. A. (2008) Determination of helix orientations in proteins. Comput. Biol. Chem. 32, 370-374.
- Ray, S., Scott, J. L., and Tatulian, S. A. (2007) Effects of Lipid Phase Transition and Membrane Surface Charge on the Interfacial Activation of Phospholipase A2. Biochemistry 46, 13089-13100.
- Pande, A. H., Scaglione, P., Taylor, M., Nemec, K. N., Tuthill, S., Moe, D., Holmes, R. K., Tatulian, S. A., and Teter, K. (2007) Conformational instability of the cholera toxin A1 polypeptide. J. Mol. Biol. 374, 1114-1128. (24 citations)
- Pande, A. H., Moe, D., Jamnadas, M., Tatulian, S. A., and Teter, K. (2006) The Pertussis toxin S1 subunit is a thermally unstable protein susceptible to degradation by the 20S proteasome.Biochemistry 45, 13734-13740.
- Nemec, K. N., Pande, A. H., Qin, S., Bieber Urbauer, R. J., Tan, S., Moe, D., and Tatulian, S. A. (2006) Structural and functional effects of tryptophans inserted into the membrane-binding and substrate-binding sites of human group IIA phospholipase A2. Biochemistry 45, 12448-12460.
- Pande, A. H., Qin, S., Nemec, K. N., He, X., and Tatulian, S. A. (2006) Isoform-specific membrane insertion of secretory phospholipase A2 and functional implications. Biochemistry 45, 12436-12447. (25 citations)
Oversees the following graduate students:
In the News
Research Unlocks Mystery of Premature Brain Cell Deaths
Certain toxic proteins have long been suspected as the culprits killing off brain cells, a process eventually leading to neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s. But exactly…